We are a small charity, working towards making a BIG difference.
Since we began in 2001, we are proud to have helped establish, significantly expand and improve the system of education for young children in The Gambia in poor, often remote, areas. We have provided or facilitated:-
• 5 Nursery/Primary Schools serving 850 pupils with over 30 staff
• 11 Libraries with a 12th planned for 2019, all regularly restocked
• 7 Hand-pump wells and 2 Solar powered wells, all providing year round clean water
• sustainable school and community gardens in previously unviable areas
• school meals in areas of greatest need
• 2 fully equipped Computer rooms at larger Upper schools
• sponsorship for the training of 12 teachers through college
• the sharing of expertise and best practice with other schools
• 100+ schools supplied with educational materials, etc
• visits by school parties, students and others with interests similar to those of GST
and MUCH MUCH more!!
To help achieve our aims one of our major activities in the UK is that each year between April and October, we collect exercise books, pencils, art materials, stacking tables and chairs, metal cupboards, computers, science equipment, books both reference & reading, sporting equipment, and gardening & DIY tools. Items are stored in the UK until they are shipped to The Gambia in October. All the resources are subsequently distributed to the five schools maintained by the charity AND many others throughout the country.
We can only achieve all of this thanks to the tireless efforts and generosity of our founders, our helpers, our amazing sponsors and of course, the Gambian people themselves, whose genuine welcome and appreciation of our work will ensure a long lasting legacy.